Legal recruiting deals with placing legal talent on a temporary or permanent basis. legal recruiters act as the link between firms seeking talent and the elite talent by assisting in the recruitment of any and every position required in a law office setting on behalf of the client (legal practicing firm).
Compared to legal practice, the legal recruiting industry is unique as it is left unregulated, i.e., no laws are governing its operations. Furthermore, you don’t require any licenses to practice. The consequences of this are there are a lot of imposters and subpar everyman that front themselves as a recruiter as well as flooding of the market with legal recruiting firms. As a legal recruiter, how do you distinguish yourself and stand out in the face of these profound challenges? What qualities do you and members of your team need to have set yourselves apart as the best among the many?
i. Communication skills – This industry is one that is highly people oriented. Ensuring your practice is well versed in various communication styles and can engage parties involved is of infinite importance.
ii. Relationship building – This industry relies heavily on the people you know. You need to be able to invest time in effectively building and maintaining relationships.
iii. Persistence and resilience – Recruiting that ideal candidate is not possible on the first call. Being able to follow up within appropriate time frames without being pushy or overly aggressive will give you better chances. You should also be able to bounce back whenever an opportunity doesn’t go through.
iv. Adaptability – Success in any field requires one to be able to adapt to any changes within and without that industry. Adapting holds true for the legal recruitment industry as well. Be up to date on upcoming trends and technologies affecting your industry.
v. Time – Be judicious with time management. Organize and place importance on activities that are productive.
These are just but a few qualities that will help your legal recruitment firm make a mark and build the reputation in the industry. Working concurrently with this is employing an effective marketing campaign. As with every other business and industry, marketing is critical in the legal recruiting industry as well.
Marketing a legal recruitment firm
Marketing techniques in professional services firms, where legal recruitment falls, are not primarily aimed at closing sales but at generating opportunities which lead to that outcome. They concentrate more on building your brand and targeting promising markets that will result in the generation of higher profits. Building the brand is achieved by employing digital marketing techniques including:
· Creating a quality website
Developing a lead generating website will serve to expand your online marketing efforts. A well-designed website that is easy to find and composed of relevant content will increase the number of visitors to your site leading to better leads and conversions.
· SEO – Acting in conjunction with a quality website, search engine optimization works to ensure your target audience can easily find your content. To maximise SEO you have to ensure your website contains quality relevant information that is regularly updated, makes use of the appropriate keywords related to the search engine and is tagged appropriately as well. Tagging is an on-going effort to ensure consistency.
· Target marketing – This allows you reach your target audience and direct your efforts to a particular group. Targeting is especially useful in marketing legal recruitment services that offer specialized services. Studies show that there is a higher growth rate in specialized niche markets as marketing efforts are easily defined and concentrated. To achieve targeting, start by using the relevant keywords on your sites and blogs that direct specific search engine traffic to your platforms.
· Ad words – This strategy allows you to pay and have your ad at the top of a search engine results page. It improves your visibility in the search engine to expose your content to more people.
· Articles – Writing articles and blogging allows you educate your audience on what your firm does; demonstrate your market knowledge as well as professional qualification. Blogging also acts to improve on SEO as it provides your site with relevant content regularly. Blogging also serves to increase your firm’s awareness as well as direct relevant traffic to your site with the aim of conversion.
Working hand in hand with the above methods, both online and offline and possibly the most important, is:
· Branding – branding is how you create and establish the image you want to portray to your audience. It falls under two categories namely:
Firm branding – This is the overall reputation and visibility of the brand in the market. Its primary purpose is to attract clients and referrals.
Employer branding – This is your reputation and visibility to employees and potential talent. Its purpose is to attract and retain talent.
You should implement both of these strategies in support of each other such that the employer brand supports the overall business branding strategy to be successful.